Socialize

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Reading - Masters Program

This post will be part of a series of readings using The YiJing Oracle.

For the first reading, I've asked a question about a masters' program that I applied to recently. I received notice a couple of weeks ago that I was put on the waiting list. I'd like to find out what can I expect regarding my acceptance into the program.

READING


Question: Masters, Comp Ling, 2013
Notice that I decided not to phrase a question per se. Instead, I opted to use a few words about my concerns.

Category: Work and Career
Since getting into the program would improve my chances at a good paying position, I chose "Work and Career" as my category.

Method: Split the Yarrow Stalks
I chose "Split the Yarrow Stalks" because I've received good results in the past. I have yarrow stalks at home and I've split and counted them as detailed in the app.

The following are the hexagrams that resulted related to my concerns.


First Hexagram: 28 – Da Guo - Great Exceeding
Changing Lines: #1, #4
Represents the current situation

h28

Summary: After reading the text for this hexagram, I’ve noticed it’s one of the longer texts that I’ve come across in the program. But, it’s only two-paragraphs long.

It mentions that I don’t have control over the situation as it is now. It is correct in that respect because I’m considered for the program, but they just don’t have a space for me. The text also mentions…

“…You may need to get away...and no longer be involved…”

So, is it saying that I should forget about it? Or, that I should look elsewhere for the same degree? I only applied for the one at the University of Washington, but I do remember seeing other universities offer the same degree. It does give me food for thought. If I really want to get the degree, but can’t get into the UW, then I know I can apply elsewhere. Why put all my eggs in this one basket?

Should I just stop thinking or worrying about it? To date I haven’t “worried” because I know that I’m in. It’s just that I’m not “officially in”. A saying comes to mind when I think of this, “Let go and let God.”

Changing line 1 says to plan carefully even with the “chaos” around me. Since changing lines can override the main text, I’ve understood this to mean that I should plan regardless – I have a good chance at getting in. That’s nice to know.

Each of the texts for Da Guo emphasizes the need to seek help and support from others. That raises a few questions. What do I need help with? How can someone else assist me in getting in? Or, does it mean that I’ll be in shortly and once in, that’s when I’ll need help?

This is why I like the YiJing. Although it might not give you direct answers, it will give you options and other things to consider. It has made me rethink the original question. Possibly, I can ask if I should look elsewhere for a similar program. A “yes/no” question would have made it feel like I didn’t have a choice.


Second Hexagram: 43 Guai – Parting
Changing Lines: #4
Represents a situation to come about within a week

h43

Summary: Guai represents a breakthrough, a way in or through when obstacles are in your path. The title “Parting” alludes to this – Those things in your way step aside to let you through. This opportunity results because of someone else’s error. The error could be any number of things: A prospective student didn’t get their paperwork done in time, a student changes their mind, etc. But, because it wasn’t my mistake nor did I directly cause the mistake, I shouldn’t feel guilty; I should just take advantage of the fact.

Guai results from changing line 1 in the previous hexagram. As I didn’t explicitly give a time frame, I can assume that this will happen within a week from today. I can expect to be informed that a spot had just opened up for me.



Last Hexagram: 5 Xu – Attending
Resulting situation with a prediction of a month

h05

Summary: This hexagram is about patience, and that all who are patient will be rightfully rewarded just as long as you keep what you want to do or happen in mind. It is one of the shorter texts…

“You will encounter success if you act as it your work project has started…”

In other words, I can expect to either get into the program and that I can look forward to a new career with a masters’ degree in computational linguistics. Or, I might be able to find another program elsewhere in which I can get accepted.

Since this hexagram resulted from line #4, I can expect to see this come about within a month. But, like many things further into the future, this is very much in the “ether” and many things can happen so that this outcome might not come about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comments with us!